Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
Vascular surgery focuses on the diagnosis and management of disorders of the arterial, venous, and lymphatic systems, excluding the intracranial vessels and the heart.
What does a Vascular Surgeon do?
Vascular surgeons specialize in treatments of every kind of vascular problem except those of the heart (treated by cardiovascular surgeons) and the brain (
Vascular surgeons use special technologies and instruments to perform endovascular (“inside blood vessels”) procedures, which require only a small incision or puncture in an artery or vein.
Specialists in vascular surgery possess the knowledge and skills to treat diseases of the vascular system with medical therapy, minimally-invasive catheter procedures, and surgical reconstruction.
To learn more, please call (716) 632-0006 or (716) 282-0349.
What Conditions Do Vascular Surgeons Treat?
A vascular surgeon treats many conditions that affect the blood vessels in every part of your body except for your heart and brain. This can include:
- Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm, a bulge or weak spot in an artery
- Atherosclerosis, or hardening of the arteries, where plaque builds up on your artery walls
- Carotid Artery disease
- Peripheral artery disease (PAD), where the arteries that bring blood to your neck or limbs become narrow or blocked
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT), a blood clot in a vein deep below your skin
- Venous ulcers and diabetic (neuropathic) wounds, which are non-healing wounds that result from poor blood flow, especially in the legs
Diagnosing Vascular Disease
To make a diagnosis, your vascular surgeon will start by talking with you about your medical history, lifestyle, and symptoms and give you a physical exam. If necessary, your surgeon may order additional tests.
Schedule a consultation today!
Services & Procedures
Vascular Services Provided
- Aneurysm surgery
- Carotid surgery
- Dialysis Access
- Insertion of vena cava filters
- Lower extremity bypass
- Mediports (for chemotherapy)
- Treatment of peripheral vascular disease
- Varicose vein surgery
Endovascular Services Provided
- Angioplasty, stenting, atherectomy (removal of plaque) for lower extremity circulation problems.
- Control of GI bleeding
- Dialysis catheters and access
- Endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)
- Treatment for DVT ( blood clots in leg veins)
- Treatment for kidney blood flow problems
- Treatment for uterine fibroids
- Venefit procedure for varicose veins
Vascular Risk Factors
- 50 or older
- Family history of vascular disease
- High Blood Pressure
- High cholesterol
Vascular screenings are recommended once every three years.
Schedule a consultation today!
Vascular Lab at NFMMC NOW OPEN
Located in The Heart Center of Niagara at NFMMC main campus, the lab offer vascular screenings that help identify risks that could lead to a Stroke or Heart Attack
A vascular ultrasound is a high frequency wave test that show the blood flow in arteries and veins.
The vascular lab is open Monday -Friday, 8am to 4pm.
Types of tests:
- Carotid Artery Ultrasound– this screening helps identify the risk of a stroke by testing for plaque buildup in the carotid artery (narrowing of the arteries can affect the supply of blood to the brain).
- Abdominal Aorta Ultrasound– this screening checks for the presence of an aneurysm that could lead to a ruptured aorta.
- Ankle-Brachial Index (ABI) with Doppler– measures the circulation in your legs and arms to identify risks for peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
Discuss with your doctor and request NFMMC imaging services for the most advanced analysis today!
Other Specialties At Memorial
Explore Our Surgical Specialties
Experienced and recognized
Meet The Doctor
Dr. Mitchell is a clinical associate professor at the University of Buffalo School of Medicine and a member of the Erie County and New York State Medical Societies. Dr. Mitchell established a Vascular and Endovascular Surgery program at Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center in 2005.
A general, vascular and laparascopic surgeon, Dr. Mitchell is a graduate of Cansius College and the SUNY Buffalo School of Medicine. He completed his surgical training at SUNY Buffalo. He is Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
To request an appointment, call 716-632-0006 or 282-0349
"Dr. Rana was prompt and answered all my questions. I was back to work in a few days."
Dr Mitchell performed a Carotid Artery cleaning on my Right side. Went great! Still experiencing some minor "side effects" to be expected. Will have him do the left side when he deems the proper time. Would totally recommend!
Dr. Mitchell was going to take my appendix and found some unexpected issues which also had to be removed and he was excellent, all the raving about him by the hospital staff was not let down, he has an excellent bedside manner and wants hIs patients to be as comfortable as possible he took great care of my surgery and making me feel comfortable with everything that’s was going on and what happened as I was terrified it being my fist surgery. Would absolutely recommend him.
Call us to schedule an appointment